WHAT IS SMILELIGN?
Teeth straightening, known within dentistry as Orthodontics, traditionally used metal brackets and ugly wires to straighten your teeth. By contrast Smilelign is an invisible orthodontic aligner system that uses the latest technology on the UK dental market. Smilelign’s revolutionary clear brace aligner gives you the straight smile you always dreamed of. Smilelign is practically invisible, so people won’t even know you’re having your teeth straightened.
EASY TO USE
HOW DOES SMILELIGN WORK?
- Smilelign treatment is completed with a series of virtually invisible, removable aligners.
- The aligners are changed every two to four weeks for the next stage.
- The process can take as little as 10 weeks depending on the alterations required.
- Each aligner is carefully designed for your teeth and will move your them in very small increments little by little, week by week.
- You will wear the clear aligners until they have moved your teeth to the final position prescribed by your dentist.
HOW DO MY TEETH MOVE?
- Your tooth movements will be meticulously planned from your dentists prescription by our ‘Scan & Plan’ service technicians.
- Our technicians scan models of your teeth using cutting edge technology.
- Each tooth movement is carefully decided using the Smilelign Ortho Studio Planning Software.
- We produce a 3D animation that shows the movements your teeth will go through during the course of treatment.
- This allows you to see how your teeth will look like at the end of your treatment and an opportunity to discuss any specific requirements you may have about how you would like your teeth to look.
WILL IT AFFECT MY LIFESTYLE?
- Smilelign clear braces are almost invisible
- Teeth straightening with clear braces are tailored specifically for you they are as slim line and as comfortable as possible.
- You will be able to undertake any work duties very easily.
- Any minor speech issues or discomfort only last a couple of days
- You can remove the aligners easily for a short space of time for an important meeting or event.
- There are no ugly brackets or wires like conventional braces meaning you can still feel confident.
- Smilelign clear braces can be removed for eating, drinking, brushing and flossing, so they don’t require additional hygiene appointments.
HOW TO STRAIGHTEN MY TEETH? LET’S COMPARE CLEAR BRACES TO METAL AND FIXED BRACES
Thanks to Smilelign metal braces can now be a practice of the past. Our invisible orthodontic aligners straighten misaligned teeth and in the majority of cases remove the need for fixed metal braces. See the chart below to compare Smilelign clear braces with traditional fixed orthodontic appliances.
HOW LONG SHOULD I WEAR MY INVISIBLE BRACES FOR EACH DAY?
The longer you wear your Smilelign aligners each day, the more effective and quicker your treatment will be. We suggest around 22-23 hours per day, only removing them to eat and clean them.
CAN I DRINK WITH MY ALIGNERS IN?
Drinking water whilst wearing your braces is fine. Under no circumstances should you drink carbonated, sugary or acidic drinks such as fresh juice, fizzy drinks and energy drinks as this can lead to corrosion of your teeth. If you need to drink these types of drinks you must remove your clear braces and make sure you clean your teeth and the brace before inserting them back on your teeth.
CAN I DRINK TEA & COFFEE?
Again it is recommended that your Smilelign braces are removed when drinking hot drinks like tea and coffee, not only can it lead to staining of your teeth but the heat can damage the thin plastic of the braces and prevent them working or deform them.
CAN I EAT WITH MY ALIGNERS IN?
No! Even really soft foods can damage the plastic when chewing. It is recommended that all drinking and eating is kept to mealtimes when you can remove your braces. If you eat or drink with the aligners in food debris and liquids can become trapped between your teeth and the clear plastic, not only will it look unsightly but it can lead to decay or acid in the fluid can erode the enamel of your teeth. We only recommend drinking still water whilst wearing your clear aligners.
WHEN SHOULD I CHANGE MY ALIGNER FOR THE NEXT STAGE?
We find that Smilelign aligners have achieved their movements within 3-4 weeks. However, do not move onto the next aligner until the one you are wearing is completely finished and never move on to the next aligner in less than 3 weeks.You should only move onto the next aligner when:
- he aligner can be removed and fitted in easily and…
- There is no pressure felt on any of your teeth and…
- It should also fit perfectly with no obvious gaps or spaces between the aligner and teeth.
If the aligner is still extremely tight move back to the previous aligner for another week or two then try the next aligner again. If after a further period it is still tight then we recommend you contact your dentist. If you move on too quickly this will result in treatment taking longer or even worse the teeth can stop moving.
DOES SMILELIGN OFFER A GUARANTEE?
Smilelign is an effective way of straightening teeth and works similar to traditional methods of orthodontics but largely depends upon a patient’s biology and compliance with treatment. As such, Smilelign as with any orthodontic treatment, cannot guarantee that your teeth will move exactly as predicted. The prescribing orthodontist or dentist is responsible to use their experience and skill to treatment plan and monitor the appropriate treatment as it progresses. If necessary, additional treatment with Smilelign or other forms may be needed. It is essential that appropriate consent is discussed and obtained from the patient prior to starting treatment.